The Seward Concert Band seeks to continue its rich history with a new director for the 2019-2020 season.
The Seward Concert Band was formed in 1977 to provide amateur musicians the opportunity to perform and improve their musical skills. The band’s season runs from September to June, including 4–6 performances and rehearsals on Thursdays from 6:50–8:50 PM.
The Conductor serves as the artistic director of the band. The conductor has no administrative responsibilities, but advises and may receive authority from the band Board of Directors to ensure the functioning of the band. The Conductor is appointed by the Board for a one-year (August through July) term which may be renewed at the discretion of the Board.
The position includes a small stipend.
Qualifications and Skills
- Prior conducting experience and knowledge of band literature.
- Demonstrate leadership qualities with conducting, teaching and communication skills.
- Has the ability to work with adult musicians of all skill and commitment levels.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Control of the musical direction of the Band, including choice of repertoire.
- Conduct rehearsals and performances.
- Attend Board meetings as a non-voting, advisory member.
- In conjunction with the Board of Directors, schedule rehearsals and performances.
- Consult with the Board of Directors to engage professional soloists or other guest artists or to fill vacancies in the Band, in case of emergency.
- Consult with the Board in its appointment of an Associate Conductor and/or Guest or substitute Conductors.
- Select and purchase new music within the budget set by the Board.
- Determine order of music for concerts. Work with the individual responsible for the printed concert program.
- Determine the band’s seating arrangements for rehearsals and performances.
Submit your application as soon as possible to be considered.[contact-form-7 id=”1079″ title=”Director Application”]